The monument was dedicated to Soviet soldiers who died during World War II, who fell in September 1946 during the battle for Warsaw. It was initially built over the graves of twenty-six Soviet soldiers but later relocated after their remains were transferred to a cemetery.
The monument's destruction was part of Poland's broader effort to remove communist-era symbols from public spaces. Polish authorities dismantled it as part of new laws aimed at decommunization. Workers began dismantling the monument with proper permits, and park employees initially called police, who allowed the process after verifying documents.
Poland has been actively removing Soviet monuments since its transition from socialism, and its socialist past. This is driven by a desire to decommunize public spaces and dissasociate from socialism. More recently these policies and actions have been accelerated by Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Russia has condemned these removals as acts against international agreements regarding war memorials, though Poland argues these agreements only apply to gravesites.
The Polish government, especially through institutions like the Institute of National Remembrance (IPN)